April 27, 2009

What to Write, What to Write - Kimberley Payne


When God first called me to write, I was so excited and ready to do His will. But I didn't know the first thing about the business of writing (besides the fact that I enjoyed it and kept a regular journal). So when I saw an advertisement in testimony magazine for the God Uses Ink (now Write! Canada) conference, I felt led to attend.

At this conference, I excitedly signed up for every class and booked one-on-one appointments for every spare moment. I couldn’t get enough! I learned all about writing for children, writing for newspapers, writing for magazines, writing for publishing houses etc.

From there, it was a process of elimination. I tried just about everything.... I tried writing poems, writing for children, writing articles, writing songs, writing book reviews, writing short stories etc. I liked it all but felt torn and unfocused. I needed to narrow my love of writing into where I best fit.

I took two excellent on-line courses; a devotional writing course (by Inscribe’s own Marcia Laycock) and a children's writing course. From these, I learned that writing for children was too tough for me, yet devotional writing felt natural.

In the meantime, I wrote a nonfiction book on health and fitness, articles on health, a weekly faith column for mainstream newspapers, and I started a novel. Through all this, I learned that I don't mind articles but only if I'm invited to submit. I don’t want to interview people. I don’t like research. I don't want to be a journalist. I like to write songs but feel that'll be in the future. And so on.

I am glad to have the opportunity to pursue my interests slowly and discover in my own time where God wants me. I also pray and ask for guidance daily. If you are called to write, there are many opportunities to use your gift – have fun and enjoy exploring your call!

Kimberley Payne
http://www.kimberleypayne.com/
http://www.fitforfaith.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. I find it interesting how you've tried everything and by doing so, learned what you enjoy doing. :) I've also felt torn between everything that I want to write--and not enough time to do it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree that finding time to explore our interests is a battle! But, I plan to continue to explore and try not to feel rushed in trying different writings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberley -- I enjoyed learning more about your writing journey and how that journey started.

    I was drawn to your little list of things you've discovered you don't want to do or be. I've noticed that, for me as well, eliminating what I already know I don't want to do or be certainly clears the way and makes space to focus on what I'm truly interested in.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brenda,

    I agree! Sometimes it's easier to work backwards and start with what we don't want to do.

    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.