April 12, 2010

Hezekiah's Insomnia - Nesdoly

(April is National Poetry Month in Canada. So please indulge me when I post a poem...)

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to know when you will die? In the poem below, I try to imagine Hezekiah's thoughts when the 15 extra years he was promised by Isaiah are nearly up.


Hezekiah’s Insomnia

“I will add fifteen years to your life. . .” 2 Kings 20:6

And what exactly did Isaiah say
those fourteen and three quarter years ago?
My brain was fevered on that deathbed day,
perhaps fifty not fifteen was the toll.

I need more time; fifteen is not enough
to do exploits, to sire, conquer, groom
Manasseh for the throne, his callow stuff
Hephzibah’s spells mold to a cursed doom.

Men long to know the number of their years.
How foolish and short-sighted such a thought.
Each beast and man I meet now raises fears. . .
Is this the one? Is he hatching a plot?

That sound! Those footsteps! Is there someone there?
Will this night sneak death angel up the stair?

© 2010 by Violet Nesdoly

****************************

Website: www.violetnesdoly.com

Personal blog promptings  (come visit during April for more poetry fun!)

Writerly blog Line upon line

Kids' daily devotions Bible Drive-Thru

A poem portfolio

NEW IN 2010: Other Food: daily devo's

3 comments:

  1. Violet, I enjoyed reading your poem... especially the very last line. I could almost feel him holding his breath in trepidation of what's might be sneaking up.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it, Brenda! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very thoughtful poem. It reminds me that sometimes we regret when God gives us what we beg for.
    Pam Mytroen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.