January 23, 2011

A Generosity of Words - Dorothy Bentley

A new year stretches out ahead of me, beckoning me to come and give of myself.

As a Christian writer, my words need to build up the body and draw people to the Lord.

I can give little snippets here and there, shallow stories, pretty poems, but will they touch a heart and change a life? That is what my writing needs to do. But how?

I don't have all the answers, but here is what I am trying: to dig deep into my heart, and pull out things that may be difficult or painful, examine them, and include them in my writing along with how the Lord has helped me through. Or, I think of other peoples' difficult lives and try to relate. It's challenging. That sort of writing is costly. Afterward, I am tired, spent. But even then I'm not finished. Praying more over the work and sleeping on it, I'll wake with another insight to add. Or I'll be washing dishes and mulling over the story and I'll ask the Lord where to include more of His Light.

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."  (Philippians 3:12-14)

I want to be generous with my words, and generous with the Light.

Do you have specific writing challenges to conquer this year?

1 comment:

  1. Bryan Norford10:38 am GMT-7

    I guess my problem is finding the time! I'm retired, but wonder how I found time to work before retirement.
    It's finding the right priority between what I want to do, and attending to the real needs of family and friends.
    Not sure if I am task or people oriented, I'm pulled both ways.
    Yet, as my wife reminded me, I am still accomplishing a meaningful amount of writing. publication and promotion.
    Perhaps I worry too much. The Lord is still in control and will accomplish through me what He wants. And I'm sure I'm not the only one with this concern.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.