July 20, 2011

Bad Recipes by Brenda J Wood

My friend decided to stop baking and gave me all her recipes. Whew! What a stack.I thought all of them would be great because after, all she had them in her possession.

Sadly this was not the case. No matter what I did to tofu, my hubby would not believe it was hamburger. (Please don't send me your favourite version...it won't wash here!)

The Rocky Road bars really were rocky while the Spinach rolls were for admiration only.
Finally I figured out her system. A barely legible recipe, with sticky edges and brown blobs met "Try me. I taste good." In a very short time, I edited that recipe pile down to a few special ones and tossed the rest.

Her most spotted recipe?

Cherry Snacks
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar

Crumble these ingredients together and pat into bottom of 9" square pan. Bake at 350F for 8 minutes, then mix the following ingredients and spread on the top.

2 well-beaten eggs
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup walnuts
1/2 pound candied cherries
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup finely shredded coconut

Return to oven and bake at 325 for 45 minutes. Top with butter icing if desired.

Just like recipes, life gives us lots of opportunities. Some are worth trying at least once but too many are not worth even one experience. Only a few are really worth the money, time and effort they demand.

We've all chased a few bad recipes. Some should have been thrown out immediately because we saw others make the same mistake.

Still some of us must try.... Lesson learned the first time should be enough.

Made a mistake and tried it? Too bad. Lesson learned.

Repeated the same mistake again---and again---and again...?

Shame on us.


Brenda J Wood

1 comment:

  1. I love this fun way you've shared today.

    I can vouch for those stained pages in recipe books... they are the ones that are tried and true, time after time.

    And I agree, so what if we try a few that don't turn out... I mark a big NO! on the page of those, so if I forget if I've tried it before, the little note reminds me not to go there!

    Maybe we should have some little sticky notes for life's recipes. (mmmm.... I guess we do, I call them journals).

    BTW, thanks for that yummy looking recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.