May 23, 2013

A Mothers Day Tribute by Terrie Lynne


Although this year's Mother's Day celebration has come and gone, I would still like to take this time to pay tribute to my Mom. She is an amazing person, one of the people that I truly admire more than anyone else in my life. I literally would not be here if it weren't for her! You see, after giving birth to her second child and experiencing some complications, she was told by her doctor not to have any more children. But my Mom thought it was her decision how many children she would have and went on and had five more - all girls I might add.

Living on the farm, Mom would plant a large garden every year and raise chickens. Many times she would proudly tell us that all the food on the Sunday dinner table was either made from scratch or grown by her hand. She produced everything, from fried chicken, potatoes, peas and carrots to home made dinner buns. She worked hard, alongside my dad. I still cherish the times I would ride beside her in the big farm truck while she hauled grain. She would have me recite scripture verses and we would talk and laugh as the sun went down and the harvest moon came up.
 I remember when she nursed my dad right up until he passed away from cancer. She said she'd never marry again but, not only did she remarry two more times, she also nursed and stood by both of them right to the end, as they too passed away to cancer.
Mom had seven children of her own, but through these marriages she accumulated step children and grand children along the way. All of them still stay in touch with her because she has became their mom and grandma too.
In addition to everything else she does, my mom has found time to travel through the years, going to places like Israel, Greece, Hawaii, Mexico, Alaska and Bali.
Mom in her twenties
Now that she is 93 years old, I watch her in awe, wondering how she does it all at her age. I don't know if I would have the strength to go through and experience all that she has. It is hard to see her struggle with the inevitable effects of a body that is growing tired. I could go on and on sharing more, but I hope I have given just a little glimpse into the life of a beautiful person that means so much to me.
Happy Mother's Day, Mom! Thank you for blessing my life!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this inspiring story of your mom. What spunk and determination she had. What a joyful way to memorize scripture verses. She must be a woman of great faith to give you the life advantage of having God's word tucked away in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sharon - thanks for telling us about your wonderful mother, Terilyn.

    "Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her: “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!” (Proverbs 31:28-29)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feisty for sure! I absolutely love that photo of her in her twenties.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.