May 29, 2013

Writing for God's Glory - Ruth L. Snyder

This month InScribers have been asked to consider our message and our mission as Christian writers. As I thought about my writing - the "what" and the "why", Psalm 107 verses 2 and 43 seem to fit:

"Let the redeemed of the LORD tell their story," and "Let the one who is wise heed these things and ponder the loving deeds of the LORD."


What do I, as a Christian writer, share? What is my message? In its simplest form, my message is the story of God at work. When I write a memoir piece, this message is quite obvious. However, the story can be just as clear in a piece of fiction as my main character experiences different events which cause him to grow as a person. How-to articles may have no real "story", but I can work at putting my words together in a format that is easy to read and understand.

Psalm 107 gives many examples we can write about:

Verses 4-9 - How God satisfies us
Verses 10-16 - How God rescues us
Verses 17-22 - How God heals us
Verses 23-32 - How God guides us
Verses 33-42 - How God blesses us

Why do I write? My mission is to encourage others in their spiritual journey and urge them on to a closer walk with Jesus Christ. I consider my writing successful if it causes someone to:

1. Stop and think about where they are in their spiritual journey.
2. Desire to know God.
3. Be encouraged.
4. Become a better person.

What about you? What motivates you as a Christian writer? What and why do you write?


Ruth L. Snyder is a Christian, wife, mother, and writer. She currently serves as the Publicity Coordinator for InScribe Christian Writers Fellowship.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is very important to stop and examine our motivation several times a year. It is easy to sucked along by trends or worry that you're not doing the right things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Tracy. Also, God leads different people into different types of writing. We need to make sure we are sensitive to His voice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.