January 27, 2014

Hibernation--A Good Thing Or A Bad Thing by Ruth Sakstad


I ended up taking an unplanned hibernation from writing during the last week of December and the first few weeks in January due to the stomach flu. This is my idea of a hibernation being a bad thing.

I don’t recall too many times in my life when I was too weak to pick up a pen and write, but that is what happened. Sometimes I couldn’t even think clearly. During part of this imposed hibernation, I was afraid I might never be able to pick up a pen and write again. I hated those thoughts. But I must admit they were there.

There are good types of hibernation, like when a word (like a wheat seed) is planted in my heart but it takes time to germinate before it becomes an article or a novel. These are exciting hibernation times because I know there will be a good harvest. I just need to remember that the seed needs to stay where it is and not keep digging it up to see if it is ready yet.

I am glad to say my bad hibernation period is now over and I am finding myself free to write again. This fills my heart with joy because I believe God has called me to write.

May your times of bad hibernation where you are unable to write be short and far between. And may your times of good hibernation be fruitful and bring you joy.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth,

    Welcome back to InScribe Writers Online. We're looking forward to having you on our contributor roster for 2014. I know the Lord's given you lots of good things to share here.

    I liked how you looked at both sides of the coin on hibernation.

    Glad you are feeling better and have 'pen and paper' at hand again.

    Brenda
    Blog Moderator

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth,
    I read Bruce's post first - which says the same thing but he wasn't forced into "hibernation". Hopefully now all your writing energy will flow with inspiration.
    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.