February 22, 2014

Love, Actually - by Susan Barclay

I've been trying to pre-write my blog posts on the weekends so I can concentrate on other writing during the week. Last week's (personal blog) pieces on all things love - food, books, Scripture, the ideal day and relationship, were all penned before I had any idea what the week would bring.

When I created the title for this post, I thought I'd be telling you how my Valentine's Day had really gone - what we ate for dinner and what actually happened with respect to the items on my list.

Little did I know.

What a difference a few days can make in a person's life. Things started changing Tuesday night and by late Wednesday afternoon we were in the midst of a whole new 'ballgame'. I have to remain mysterious for now because it's not just my story, but I believe I know why God was calling me to trust Him more this year. He wanted me to be ready for what He was about to introduce.

We have lots of ideas about what love should look like - flowers, chocolates, dinners at fancy restaurants, etc. - but real love happens where the rubber meets the road. That Scripture verse I posted last week was the most essential piece 'I' wrote. Quoting from the latter portion of I Corinthians 13:

4 Love is kind and patient, never jealous, boastful, proud, or 5 rude. Love isn’t selfish or quick tempered. It doesn’t keep a record of wrongs that others do. 6 Love rejoices in the truth, but not in evil. 7 Love is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting. 8 Love never fails!

God has given me a chance to show kindness, self-sacrifice and support to someone who needs to experience these things right now. He is trusting me to pour out His love. At times I feel unworthy; I don't want to mess up. I want to do well. 'Are you sure, God? Are you really putting this opportunity in my hands?'

His answer is a definite 'yes'. And I am excited to see where this journey will lead - not just for me but for the individual He's brought into my sphere and for everyone who's part of the story.

______________

This was posted on my personal blog earlier this week. For more of my writing visit www.susan-barclay.ca

8 comments:

  1. Susan, your comment, "What a difference a few days can make," and subsequent hints reminds me that I really do need to think about and practice conscious loving daily. If it's part of my internal response, then I have more of a chance to respond in love when things go sideways. Great reminder. And I'm praying for your circumstance, that our Lord will be revealed as it unfolds.

    Blessings
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. you left us in suspense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,
    Love this: He is trusting me to pour out His love.

    Praying for His guidance as He leads you in following Him.

    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...we need to read chapter 2!

    Sometimes those moments when we have to fully trust God, are the hardest.
    Thanks for the thoughtful post. (But do tell. . .)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A valentine's mystery - will you update us?

    Pam Mytroen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your prayers, Bobbi and Janis. They are greatly appreciated.

    I hope to update everyone sometime in the future, but like all situations we go through, it's dependent on God's timing.

    Blessings. May you pour out His love on someone today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how He prepares us for what He knows is coming down the road. We never have to be blindsided.

    That piece of 1 Cor 13 is one of my favourites. It truly is love in working clothes -- when you mention rubber meeting the road, I thought of rubber boots! They're not fancy, but they sure do the job when needed.

    I'll add my own wishes for 'part 2' when it's available, as to how this turns out.



    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree--real love DOES happen where the rubber meets the road. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.