January 07, 2015

Rediscovering the Quiet - Ramona Heikel

I’m not sure when the shift happened, but somewhere in the last few years, I went from enjoying the excitement and variety of new opportunities, to being overwhelmed by them. Is it my age?  Mental fatigue?  The demands of the new job?  Our fast-paced digital world?  Maybe it’s a combination of all four.

What is important is that my lifestyle made my mind and my life noisy.  And that was really irritating.  So I brought to the Lord this aggravation, and my feeling of helplessness to change, admitting that it was probably all my fault (because I’ve always tended to be divergent, and bite off more than I can chew), and asked Him for help.

Over the summer and fall I rediscovered the simple life-giving moments of being at rest—physically, mentally, emotionally.  Sometimes all it took to get that peace was two or three deep breaths, and insisting that all thoughts halt for a few seconds.

Soon I found myself guarding that peace, by avoiding activities that put me back into that “noisy” mode, yet have little or no significant purpose.  I began trusting more and more that God would lead me to the writing activities of his choice, and he would decide if my words ever saw the light of day.  I am also less likely to say “yes” these days, when I feel “no” (both to people in my life, and to my self!).


I used to wonder how in the world I was going to get all my writing goals accomplished.  Now, as I look forward, most of my anxiety and impatience has been traded for a sense of anticipation.  I can rest, trusting that the words God wants me to write will be given to my quiet heart and mind, and given out as a blessing to the readers he chooses.  What a relief!

It seems to me that the world, the needs of the world, and attempting to manage these needs, get more and more complicated by the day.  But they are not problematic to our Counselor.  He is wise, unhurried, and unalarmed if our society fails to find solutions.  He has his plans, and he has his people to join with him in carrying them out in his way, in his time.

“In returning and rest you shall be saved;
In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.”
Isaiah 30:15




Posted by Ramona

9 comments:

  1. Great post, Ramona; I think we all struggle with finding rest in the busyness of today's culture. Certainly this year it is my hope to also do "less". See my post here: http://notesfrominnisfree.blogspot.ca/2015/01/word-for-year.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The only thing I can think of to say is 'Thank you!' It is just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're singing my song, and you sung it most succinctly, Ramona. We have the advantage of a wise master, who will keep us on track. Oh, that we would remember to ask him first, instead of running in all directions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great insight. I agree with every word and would only add one thing, the need for silence. The constant music in the stores and elevators, turning on the TV without thinking. Even the drip of a faucet can be too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No kidding, Carol. When it comes to silence, I find I have an advantage in wearing hearing aids. I'm afraid I've developed the practice of taking them off when the decible clutter is too great. I might say 'Pardon?' a lot, even annoy others a bit, but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've appreciated both your post, and the comments it generated from others. The life-saving power of silence and being at rest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramona,
    Wow--that final verse says SO much and is such a beautiful promise to us all. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Tracy, I will say "Amen!" and "Thank you!"

    Without my computer for a week and then a few days out of commission after surgery on my eyelid, I am trying to catch up on reading the InScribe blogs, which provide much scope for thought, prayer, and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your extra ideas and suggestions, everyone! And Susan, it was neat to see your L.E.S.S. post and how we are on the same wavelength. We can do this in his wisdom and strength. So glad we have each other to walk alongside!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.