November 09, 2016

Rotting at the Keyboard - Shirley S. Tye



Sometimes we make changes in our lives and sometimes changes come about because…well…life happens. Between 2001 and 2010, my writing was going great.  New opportunities arose which I jumped into head first. Many of my articles and short stories were published. I also wrote a regular column, was on a panel of judges for two writing contests, was the editor of a newsletter for a library group, and had several speaking engagements. Life was exciting.  But then…

The company for which my husband worked enticed hundreds of employees to take early retirement.  He took the bait and we moved back to our home town to be with our family.  That year, 2010 was an upturning point for my husband.  He found work as an instructor at a college.  His long-time teaching dream finally came true.  Oh, happy bliss - for him. 

I, on the other hand, have been sitting rotting at the keyboard since our move.  No one wants to hire a sixty-something year old woman even with a college diploma and a university degree, and my creative thoughts have dried up. Even writing this simple blog is painful.  Every door that I’ve opened has revealed a brick wall. Will new leaves ever sprout?

Excuse me now – I must fumigate this room.  I smell something rotting.

6 comments:

  1. Perhaps its time to try a different approach. Have you ever tried your hand at the 'Word Challenges'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I've tried the "Word Challenges" and even won. I've just lost my focus and drive. Don't know how to get it back. In 5 weeks I'll be 64 and can't see a future. Sad, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Shirley, you've described a fear I occasionally see looming in my future, and it frightens me. I'm on the + side of 60 as well. What will happen when I no longer work? What will I do with myself?

    So tell us, as you fumigate, what are you going to replace the smell with? What's your plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still fumigating. Don't know what to replace the smell with - no plans. I'm like a frog, hopping from one Lilly pad to the next and each one sinks.

      Delete
  3. I've been and am even now still in a similar place. But not just with my writing. It's been an all around thing. But doors are opening up after a very long wait to new things.
    I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have a response for you when I read this, but you have been on my mind this past week. When I think of you, I pray, Shirley. When I don't know exactly what to pray, I think of the benediction (or good word) that we often hear a minister or a priest say at the end of a Christian service. It can also be said by one person of faith to another who is in need of blessing. (Of course, aren't we all in need of blessing.) "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.