December 29, 2016

Words Are A Precious Gift by Bob Jones




The writing life is about words – written and received.

Words are a precious gift.

Shared in writing, words are a gift to our readers. Everything we write is a vulnerable expression of our musings, experiences and hopes. Thoughtful, creative, intentional words are written with the hopes that they will deliver benefit to readers.

Words given to us as writers are another story. They are gifts offered from friends and critics (who are sometimes one and the same).

For me, words of feedback, constructive criticism and especially affirmation are greater gifts than anything I can give.

Personally, words are more important than they may be to other writers. The truth is one word of affirmation can carry me a long way through tough times. Especially if the word comes from someone I know and respect. 

Sometimes, I’ve been known to forward compliments I receive to my wife, Jocelyn just so she’ll know that the time taken in writing has been somewhat of a valued effort.

According to Gary Chapman my “love language” is “words of affirmation”. For me, compliments are very meaningful and aren’t just flattery. When readers share that they learned something, or changed their thinking or bettered their behavior from what I wrote (or even simply read what I wrote) I take their words to heart.

Furthermore, negative or careless comments cut deeply. I’ve been developing a thicker skin over time. I’m not at the turtle shell stage yet but getting there.

Christmas is a wonderful opportunity to remember that when God gave, He gave His Word. Everything in creation came into existence through God speaking, except for people. Adam was the first expression of God’s creative touch. In Jesus we have both His Word and His touch. Jesus is the vulnerable expression of God’s love.

My gift to you this Christmas is to encourage you to write on in 2017! To put your words and yourself into your written creations.

Merry Christmas!
 
Bob W. Jones is a recovering perfectionist, who collects Coca-Cola memorabilia and drinks Iced Tea. His office walls are adorned with his sons’ framed football jerseys, and his library shelves, with soul food. He writes to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for these encouraging words, Bob. I can tell that 'words of encouragement' are your primary love language, just in the way you write. May God bless you and continue to use you - and your words - in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your opener, Pastor Bob: "The writing life is about words--written and received." That also describes God's Holy Word. God's words are compiled in the Bible, written there for us to read and receive. Just like us, I believe, God must be delighted when we stop to read what he wrote for us. In 2 Timothy 3:16, we read, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." Just like us, God probably enjoys when we tell him, "Good work. You really nailed it!"

    Thanks for reminding us that an encouraging word is more than flattery. Maybe God also likes to see how many hits a certain chapter, or blog, got.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.