June 29, 2017

It's What's Inside That Counts: Journaling by Bob Jones


Here I am getting ready for the 29th of the month. Again.

And again, women and men of Inscribe Writers Online have shared incredible insights on the subject of journaling. I enjoyed reading them all. I learned (and laughed) so much.

(But I do wonder what happened to the writers for June 2nd, 5th, 7th, 11th, 13th 23rd, and 24th. Maybe they were too busy journaling to post.)

So – and here’s a writer’s favorite question – “What can I write about that hasn’t already been shared?”  I feel such a temptation to plagiarize. (Note to self – write July’s post before July 1st)

I look at my current journal and it reminds me of why I journal. This journal was a 2016 Christmas present.

On the cover is the quote - “It’s what inside that counts.” On the inside cover page is an inscription from one of my sons, daughter-in-law and three granddaughters.

“Dad, Another year, another journal, another glimpse into your journey. We pray you are blessed beyond measure in the coming year.”

I can’t read these words, let alone type them without losing my ability to see clearly.

The penmanship tells me that it was my daughter-in-law that wrote the words. That means all the more to me. To be loved by the woman your son chose to be his wife and the mother of my grand girls is beyond words.

Why do I journal?

Because I keep receiving journals as Christmas presents.
Because I’m reminded that my writing is valued by people other than me.
Because journaling keeps me alert to what really matters.
Because I would easily forget the good that comes to me “on my journey” if I didn’t journal.

Now, I’m ready for July.
Bob is a recovering perfectionist, who collects Coca-Cola memorabilia and drinks Iced Tea. His office walls are adorned with his sons’ framed football jerseys, and his library shelves, with soul food. He writes to inspire people to be real, grow an authentic faith in Jesus, enjoy healthy relationships and discover their life purpose.  

Follow his writing at Pointe's of View.

8 comments:

  1. LOL Bob! We need more contributors to fill some of those spots! The 2, 7, 11, 23, and 30 are all 'free' - so if you know of any writers who would like to contribute on a monthly basis, please alert me! The 5th of each month is set aside for reviews, so again, please send me a review of a good book you've read (either a book on writing, faith, or if it is a fiction book we would prefer it be written by an Inscribe member), and the 27th is supposed to be a 'promotional' day - which I totally dropped the ball on this month! I meant to start promoting fall conference... Oops!
    I enjoyed your post and it fit well with the rest. Pre-scheduling your posts ahead of time is a great strategy, too. I highly recommend it. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. You're a good neighbour. I'll think about some writers who could post and a book I could review. Enjoy Canada Day weekend!

      Delete
    2. PS. I did post my July 29th article already. Feeling good about being early!

      Delete
    3. I love your reasons for journaling, especially the way you began each reason "because - because - because - because." It reminds me of how my mother always said - "Because I said so..." Maybe that's how I will sign off on my next journal. Thanks Bob!

      Delete
    4. journal entry - that is

      Delete
  2. I loved your blog, Bob, and you did not plagiarize. I concur with all four of your reasons for writing in a journal, but I appreciate how succinctly you expressed them. I can also identify with your blurry vision when you think of your daughter-in-law's message on your new Christmas journal. This is the way I feel about the men my two daughter chose as well. Write you write does matter--really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. I always look forward to what you will see and comment on in my writings. God bless.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this informative article,keep posting
    ... http://aazae.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.