June 08, 2017

Journaling not for faint of heart by Dayna E. Mazzuca

Hard-core daily journalling is not for the faint of heart. Debriefing life play by play can be exhausting. On the other hand, the un-examined life is hardly worth living. I believe the Lord wants each of us in close contact with Him; to tune in to our life below the surface. To voice our tender, strong desires. To name our fears. To live in response to his invitation to go deeper; to know God.

As a writer, I find journaling the ideal venue for this kind of spiritual work.


For me, daily journaling is essential to my soul, my craft and my coherence. When I go too long without a journal (e.g. on vacation/on the move) things pile up inside of me and by the end of a week bereft of journaling, I'm a mess. I talk faster, knee-jerk react to situations, interrupt people and growl at those who love me.

As a result, my colourful, oversized journal collection is really a hopeful investment in the quality of my inner life. Journaling clears my mental skies and refines and strengthens my emotional core. It orders my responses and informs my voice. In many ways, it informs who I am and what I'm about.

I journal daily. It's not a habit; it's a way to the good life. 

I can't imagine who or what I'd be without my journals. I fill one a month, sometimes two.

What will become of these thoughts, prayers, rants and quotes? I have no idea. Sometimes I worry; so I journal about that too.

To be honest, publishing to connect with readers is easier than journaling. I know what happens to those words. I can track the response. My articles, poems and books represent thoughts coming full circle, taking on some form in the world, offering value. My journals sit in tall stacks and fill baskets in my study.

Private journaling and public writing (e.g. publishing) straddle two different hemispheres of my writing world.


On the one side, I need to journal. I need to process and attend to the significant signs of God at work in my life. I need to record the pain and celebrate the joys of life. I need to be honest and vulnerable and fierce and strong. I need to journal.

On the other side, I need to publish. I need to be heard; to not operate within a vacuum. To get outside of my head. To attune to the needs and voices of others. To pursue my vocation. To get paid and contribute to society. I need to publish.

In the end, journaling is an interior act. Publishing is exterior. Two halves of the whole that this writer, for one, appreciates, pursues and enjoys—albeit in rather un-equal measure.



www.daynawrites.com


10 comments:

  1. "...my colourful, oversized journal collection is really a hopeful investment in the quality of my inner life." Yes! Exact;y how I feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oversized, Colourful! I can see it!! Nice to know we're surrounded by the same - hope this finds you well Tracy - I'm sure you have lots to journal about these days.

      Delete
  2. You truly nailed this topic, Dayna! There are so many reasons why people like to journal or should journal. I like your descriptions of the 'two halves' of you. The interior and the exterior. Even though I have only published a few pieces of my writing, I understand the both halves. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vickie - I definitely do not know where I'd be without my journals - even though they kinda scare me!

      Delete
  3. Journaling is an important part of my prayer life. There is something about the act of writing that frees emoion and allows for a deeper level of authenticity. But don't you mean faint of heart rather than feint?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Journaling is an important part of my prayer life. There is something about the act of writing that frees emoion and allows for a deeper level of authenticity. But don't you mean faint of heart rather than feint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! All my life I've thought is was feint - but you are right! Thanks so much - ;)

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Dayna, for this insightful post. I agree with you that I have grown spiritually through my journalling, which sometimes becomes a book of prayers and praying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a book of prayers... have you turned your journals into such a book, Sharon? I've been thinking along these lines... hmmmm...

      Delete
  6. So well said, Dayna. I love this: "...to tune into our life below the surface. To voice our tender, strong desires. To name our fears."
    It's about time I start living - journaling my way to the "good life".
    thank you Dayna!
    Pam M.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.