July 17, 2017

Privilege by Rohadi


“To the privileged, equality looks like oppression.” - Unknown


I don't know who originally penned that quote, nor who said it, but I have been reflecting on the words, particularly in our current world.

I also don't know if this is accurate, but it seems the rhetoric in Western developed nations has become exceedingly polarized.

We're fighting to decide who's in and who's out. It's tiresome to listen to conversations that quickly descend into entrenched ideologies.

Jesus has something to say about the outsiders, although those who claim him often mix in criteria of their own.

Knowing I can't change anybody's mind, what I can do is reflect on my own.

I am a product of privilege.

Coming to this country as a tot opened the door to opportunity. That privilege, however, has also come at the expense of someone else, as often privilege does.

Canada150 is a story that celebrates a strong nation. It's being challenged by those who fight to retain what comfort and privilege they have in fear those who are different may gain a little more. We struggle to keep our identity by unknowingly, or knowingly, burying someone else's.

I think about these things.

In order to establish a way to reject the outsider, one needs to ignore stories of those who've come before there was even a Canada. Here's an old professor of mine talking about some of those stories, and the people behind them.






____

Visit Rohadi at his blog. Check out his adult colouring book, Soul Coats.

4 comments:

  1. This is a topic very close to my heart, Rohadi. Thank you for sharing these videos clips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Thanks for sharing, Rohadi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Great videos. The line: "Most people are okay with Jesus, it's the church that they don't like" hits hard and I see it as a call to action ...
    Thanks for sharing and for making us think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of privilege, I reflected on my own list of places in Canada that I had visited. Although I may not be the most travelled person in the country, I realize that I have seen more of Canada than many. For folks living on minimum wage, the unemployed, or aboriginals living in impoverished conditions, travel is out of their reach. Thanks for sharing these thought-provoking videos by your former professor, Ray Aldred.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.