July 06, 2017

With Glowing Heart ... by Glynis M Belec

"Indeed, my plans are not like your plans, and my deeds are not like your deeds." 
Isaiah 55:8 (NB)




Last week was indeed  a true Canada Day 2017. Not at all like I had planned, but a fabulous one, nonetheless. 

A month ago, I had my agenda tidily filled in and my plans were in place. I had been asked to help organize, or at least participate in a local Art in the Park event for Canada Day. I thought that would be fun and I could perhaps help some of our local writers promote their work too, so I jumped in. The plan was also for me to have a book table decorated to the nines with my newest publishing hurrah - a story in Chicken Soup for the Soul Spirit of Canada. Perfect timing for my new Canadian title. I was excited and hoped to sell a lot of books.

Shortly after I had said 'sure thing,' though, I found out my daughter was going to be moving that very day. So I had to break it to the organizers that I was backing out. I felt bad but it was a case of priorities and I had to help. 

However, my plan was to pop by and enjoy Art in the Park later in the day, and help out if I got back in time. So all seemed well, all things considered. 

Then, wouldn't you know it, things switched again. Plans fell through for my daughter. I felt badly but then I thought perhaps I could recommit to helping out on Canada Day. I didn't jump in head first this time. I merely mentioned I might be able to come to help out on the day, in case things turned around for my daughter. The gal who had contacted me was so kind and told me to come if I was able. She would save a spot. So I planned again. 

But I shouldn't have bothered. 

It's not that things turned around for my daughter. 

It was my Dad this time. He had a bit of a turn - well a succession of turns and the short story is he ended up being put on a heart monitor. So there went any plans of my own. This was just prior to Canada Day. And I knew that I couldn't leave Dad for any extended time so it looked like I had to cancel everything. I did. 

As we did our devotions that morning, I remarked to Happy Hubby, who was also heading out to do some catch up on some work of his own, how differently the day turned out to what I had planned. 

"That's sometimes how God works," he said, kissing me farewell and leaving me contemplating. 

It was a good thing I stayed home, too. Dad ended up having a dizzy spell and his heart was racing just as I was helping him up. Right away I had to get him to lie in bed for a while and follow the doctor's instructions. Eventually things settled down and all was quiet in paradise. 

Later, once Dad seemed okay and I had given him breakfast and got a few things done in the kitchen, I went to the back patio door and stood quietly for a minute looking at my garden and the impending black clouds that loomed near. I was feeling a little frustrated and thinking about how my plans didn't work at all. I didn't get to help my daughter move. I didn't help with Art in the Park. I didn't get to set up my table and sell all those books that I had planned on selling. I didn't get to partake in typical Canada Day celebrations. And it looked like rain. 

Then I heard it. At first I thought I was imagining it. 

It started out soft and low. A solitary sound of a trumpet playing O Canada - and it drifted across our subdivision to my back porch. I opened the screen door and stepped outside, still in my pjs.  My heart stood to attention. My body followed suit as O Canada got progressively louder. Three times the distant trumpeter played it. For three minutes I stayed still. Smiling. Listening. Appreciating. 

I thanked God for sending me that special gift Canada Day morning. It seemed to focus me. Reminding me about my glowing heart and how God keeps our land glorious and free! 

The rest of my day was not at all as I had originally planned. I did the laundry. I wrote a little bit. I cleaned our bedroom, and sorted through things I had kept putting off. I cleaned the pantry. Wrote some more. Ran an online Oh Canada Trivia Challenge. Made some muffins. Smiled a lot. Counted Blessings. 

Not a day that I had planned. But it was such a peaceful, fulfilling, relaxing kind of day that I had not experienced in a long time. I kept thinking about the trumpeter. And O Canada. And the way God's plans are not our plans. Gratitude. 


O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.


                                     Glynis

10 comments:

  1. isn't it wonderful that when our plans go awry He is still in control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet relief that He is. I guess you know all about that, Tracy! Hope you are doing well. We are still praying every morning for you! :)

      Delete
    2. I don"t tweet. Really I don't. I don't even read tweets or blogs in tweet. But I followed a link and there you are Glynis with encouragement to acknowledge God's hand in the ordinary. Or is there an ordinary anything. And in your pj's no less.

      Delete
  2. Your opening bible verse reflects your story (life) so well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vickie. It's okay to plan, it's just no okay to think we know it all and expect life to be just the way we want it. I keep learning that the hard way! How about you?

      Delete
  3. I wish I had been standing there with you listening to the trumpet play O Canada. What a wonderful moment. And I love the attitude with which you faced your not planned day. Thanks, Glynis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful moment and I was truly moved by just standing there listening, Joylene. And then praising God.

      Delete
  4. I believe you have exemplified, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." (Philippians 4:11 NIV) A couple decades ago we lived in the neighbourhood of a bagpiper, who used to practice on his front step--to spare his family the volume, I suppose. He would play O Canada and other patriotic songs suitable for Remembrance Day or funerals, i.e. Amazing Grace. Hearing your story brings me back to his songs riding on the winds. Thanks, Glynis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sharon. I would have LOVED to have had a bagpiper at the other end of the subdivision! I LOVE the bagpipes. It stirs sweet memories - I lived there for six years! I can imagine how lovely that sounded for you!

      Delete
  5. Make your own "Writer" blog-website to additionally advance your book. Navigate the Internet to get linkbacks to your webpage or book through visitor posting, article composing, and so on. lighthouse publishing of the carolinas

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.