April 06, 2012

"GOOD" Friday?

 "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.


In you, O LORD, I take refuge;


let me never be put to shame.


In your justice rescue me.


Into your hands I commend my spirit;


you will redeem me, O LORD, O faithful God."


- Psalm 31

They call it Good Friday. I have often wondered why is it called good when it is anything but...? The atrocities and horrors that Jesus endured on the cross certainly don't go hand in hand with anything even resembling pleasant.

As I pondered more, I decided to do my usual 'Google' trick. I found a couple of interesting comments including one on how the exact origins of the name are uncertain. Not very helpful.

Some argue it stems from the use of good as an adjective applied to the day, which is an Old English synonym for holy. Others argue it is a corruption of the word God in the same way that good-bye comes from the phrase God be with ye.

Another Google link on the origins of the Good Friday name, talked about how Christians believe the day is good because the message of Easter is about Christ's victory over sin, death, and evil.

Just as the origins of the name, Good Friday, will remain a mystery, so will the events of Easter - especially the truly 'good' and miraculous part on Easter morning when Christ arose from the grave!

 This is where faith steps in and we realize that it is not our job to solve the mystery. Our job is to have faith and believe. Jesus' death on the cross signifies new life in Christ. Through the Grace of God, we are made whole again and in His strength alone we are equipped to go out and share the news with the rest of the world.
 


It really is the greatest story ever told, when you stop and think about it. No Easter Bunny story or chocolate egg candy delight can surpass that one.
 


And the wonderful part about the Easter Story is that it doesn't end there. Christ surely did suffer and die on the cross and then rose again, but because of all that, the Spirit is living in me (and you) and all believers. Hallelujah, Christ arose!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.