September 17, 2015

WHY WRITE? by Bryan Norford



It's Always Different

I have been fascinated while reading our September blogs by the variety of paths that inspire writing. Those stories relate surprising and intricate ways God has brought many InScribers to write for Him, and I confess provoke a little envy that my journey is just plain ordinary.

But the form of our call is does not determine its importance. God has a storehouse of methods to gain our attention and call His people to action, more than we can imagine. Furthermore, His timing does not always coincide with ours.

I didn’t venture into serious writing until my late sixties. But I was always intrigued how versatile the English language is, particularly in determining the tone of our message, whether to friends, in ministry, or for business documents.

During those earlier years, like many people, I always had a vague desire to “write my story some day.” But as I grew towards retirement and an increasing assurance of my faith, I became incensed with so much arrogant nonsense our declining culture calls truth.

 With the Great Grandkids

Coupled with that, our growing family of grandchildren and great grandchildren became the focus of our concern and prayers. We didn’t want our dear family caught up in falling and failing values that increasingly bring misery.

So began a journey to leave a legacy of basic truths of our faith, and their relevance to a joyful life of meaning: a life not dependent on earthly health or wealth, but energized by a settled status with God and his eternal reality.

The words of Paul continue to be my motivation, “We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal,” 2 Corinthians 4:18. Little in this life makes sense without this starting point.

Thus, among other areas of ministry Ann and I feel called to in our latter years of life, writing has become a major focus—as long as we remain coherent! A written legacy of faith will reach further into coming generations than spoken words that dissolve in the wind.


Sixty Years Married



5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:14 am GMT-7

    Lovely photos! And yes, it is God's timing as we grow more in wisdom. And I am blessed that you share through writing now what God has placed on your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You are both such an inspiration and wonderful example

    ReplyDelete
  3. What we consider ordinary, others consider extra-ordinary. I felt the story of your life growing up iin war-time England was very challenging and set-apart from the norm, although as you recounted in your book, you thought it was just the normal life of a little boy. I learned a lot of history from your account. And now I am so inspired and thankful for your motivation to write for your family. How we need your perspective in these perilous times!
    Pam M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your good wife, Ann, set a marvellous example for writers of all ages, and particularly for those of us who are Christian. Since Jesus has left us to be both light and salt for the world, it is important for us to share our story of how God makes our lives meaningful. I too would like to leave " . . . a legacy of basic truths of (my) faith, and (its) relevance to a joyful life of meaning: a life not dependent on earthly health or wealth, but energized by a settled status with God and his eternal reality."

    Too many of my family elders have succumbed to Alzheimer's, so it is important for me to learn to number my days. I am moved and convicted by your final words, Bryan: "A written legacy of faith will reach further into coming generations than spoken words that dissolve in the wind." May I too settle into this reality and joyfully persevere. Thank you for your post, my fellow InScriber.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sixty years married. Congrats! And I too am learning the importance of leaving a "written legacy of faith" for future generations. Thanks for taking up the task and for your writings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.