September 26, 2016

One Of Those Years by Marnie Pohlmann

We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps. 
(Proverbs 16:9 NLT)
Have you ever had a time when nothing goes as planned?
Checking my writing goals for this year shows 2016 is one of those years for me.

I did not set specific goals this year, as I explained in my Missing Pieces post last January, but I did still make a list of writing items I hoped to accomplish.
  •     Continue contributing to this Inscribe Writers Online blog once each month.
  •   Set up my own blog and post once each week.
  •    Go through my old diaries and journals to glean anything that could be helpful to others.
  •    Write my Circus book.
  •    Complete a Christian Literature Survey course.
  •    Participate in writing contests.
  •    Attend Inscribe’s Fall Conference.

So how am I doing?
Epic fail!

I have made small progress on some items, but overall, life has interrupted my writing.

For months I have been struggling with a tsunami of situations that bring mental, emotional, physical and spiritual waves of distress. There is seemingly endless upheaval within my family’s life.

I am not alone. Others, too, have had a year of stretching their faith – health, housing, finances, friendships. The very joys that make up life are also the trials of fire each of us must walk through.

Am I stressed by it all? Of course! Yet there is also peace in the midst of this chaos, and even laughter.

I have not succeeded at my writing goals, but I am still able to write words, and even better - I am living the Word!

We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love. (Romans 4:2-5 NLT)

I am learning to trust that God has the details under control. He is present in the midst of our storms.  I am learning to hold my plans loosely so God can direct my path.

I don’t know how the story of 2016 will end, but I know "The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights" (Habakkuk 3:19 NLT)



4 comments:

  1. Really amazing, God's gift of peace in our storms, our trial, life interrupted. And Amen! too that you are Living the Word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you, my friend. (and Wally of course)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, praying for you and Wally, my friend. May God continue to give you the strength to Live the Word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart goes out to you, Marnie, and to the husband you love so much. Everyone's situation is different, but there are similarities. 1 Corinthians 10:13 comes to mind. I read it in NIV and then I read it in The Message. "No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he’ll never let you be pushed past your limit; he’ll always be there to help you come through it."

    This is a verse I need to read often these days, but, if these words of Paul are any comfort to you, we can share this bit of God's word with each other and with anyone else who needs to read these words of comfort and promise. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.