August 07, 2017

The Search for Equilibrium by Glynis M Belec


There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven.
Ecclesiastes 3:1
The Balancing game. I sometimes think it is called the Juggling game; at least in my house. And some days it even shifts from juggling to struggling to tight-rope walking. 
But am I complaining? Nope. I am rejoicing. I am rejoicing in my season. I do get a little frustrated because of my lack of available hours, but I plod on and use my agenda faithfully, reminding myself that God has me exactly where he wants me. 
I think that is the best advice I can give anyone who is dealing with a juggling act - plod on and trust God! And use an agenda or list of some kind - device or pen and paper. Doesn't matter as long as you have a reference. Balance for me comes at the end of the day when I feel accomplished and see that I crossed off at least half of my list and everyone was fed and happy along the way. 
Summertime adds to the number of balls I am tossing in the air, too; my darling grandchildren spend lots of time at my house. But how can I complain about that? Just part of the joy of having a home office and a flexible schedule. [Not many know of my late nights!] 
Maintaining an equilibrium works for me most days, although like I said, I don't get everything done in a day and battle frustrations and a temptation to feel sorry for self and drift into a depth of despair while planning my own pity party. 
But then I am reminded by God's Word that, yes, there is a time for every event, including solid writing time. Seems no one likes to attend a pity-party anyway even if I serve a delicious dose of 'why me' and generous helpings of  "how can I cope'.  It's much more fun when I rejoice in where I am instead of whining about where I want to be. 
Juggling things takes effort. Jesus is a good place for me to look to see how to juggle things properly. He had the same 24 hours I have now and the demands on Him were greater than I can even imagine. I only have to cook, clean, write, take care of people I love, run a business, and put up with hardship now and again. Jesus had to put up with huge demands of the day, not to mention the weight of the sins of the world. 
Ah, yes. Part of my pursuit of balance is suddenly replaced by the realization that no matter what I do (want, hope for, long for, write on my list) it will never be perfectly achieved. All I can do is my best and remember that God is going to be there to catch me if I fall (or drop a juggling ball or two!) 
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17

5 comments:

  1. "All I can do is my best and remember that God is going to be there to catch me if I fall..." Great summation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's much more fun when I rejoice in where I am instead of whining about where I want to be." Indeed, I find it so too, Glynis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughts on this topic of balance, or the lack of it, in our lives Glynis. I appreciate your comparing the load we carry with the load Jesus carried while he was on earth. Then he was crucified on the cross with the load of our sins. He did the Father's will by dying this way so that we might have life and have it more abundantly . . .

    Jesus knew we would be challenged in figuring out how to live abundantly, so he offers to share the yoke of our burdens with him. This will lighten our load and we can learn from him how to do this. May each of us allow Jesus to share our burdens and, while we're sharing our load with him, may we talk with him and learn more about how to receive this abundant life that he died to give us. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That verse from Ecclesiastes is going on my list of "balance" scriptures. Thanks, Glynis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...it will never be perfectly achieved." What a relief to read that! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.