September 06, 2017

A Divine Appointment with a Tim Horton's Angel by Glynis M Belec

A friend sent me a private message on Facebook the other day bemoaning the fact that she was going to give up all this Christianity stuff because it just didn't seem worth the struggle. God rarely shows up to help when she needs it, she said, so what is it all about anyway?

As a fairly new believer, this lovely pal of mine was facing a multitude of trials and she was having trouble believing a good God would allow her to continue to go through them. She'd had a rough life. Her choices were just that—her choices, although some of them were made in response to a terrible home life. A search. A need to find love. And she ended up finding love in all the wrong places.

It was a tough conversation. It made me think. How do I answer her? I gave her a general answer about how God shows up at just the right time and how He really does have everything under control and then how important it is to trust and wait. But I needed more.

This morning, I believe the Lord gave me more. A scripture to pass on. And one of my own stories of how He showed up at exactly the right time!

Habakkuk 2:3 For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.

     God is not a divine game of Chance. He has orchestrated our days. I remember the day I received the diagnosis of cancer. My entire life as I had planned it came crashing down. Everything came to a screeching halt and all I could think of was I would soon be dying of cancer. After leaving the doctor's office, my hubby and I went to a nearby Tim Horton's to have tea and to try to get our heads around the 'news'. What would we tell our children? How would our lives change? When will I die? How could we do this? What about my Dad? My work? My students? Our finances? A million questions and we had not one answer.

But God did.

I've written about this many times and the story still stirs my soul. As I sat silently weeping at the table in Tim Hortons, my hubby went to the counter to order our drinks. I was wiping the silent tears from my eyes and I happened to catch the eye of a lady a few tables over. She smiled at me and nodded. A nondescript persona - grey hair, about my height, glasses, a warm smile! Embarrassed, I quickly sniffed and wiped my eyes. I turned away, waiting for my hubby to return. A moment passed and I felt a tender hand on my shoulder. I looked around. The woman from the other table looked me square in the eye.

"Here," she said, "this is for you."

I reached out for the little piece of green paper she was holding in her hand. I unfolded it and read it.

         
           "I said a prayer for you today
            And know God must have heard.
            I felt the answer in my heart
            Although he spoke no word!

            I didn't ask for wealth or fame
            (I knew you wouldn't mind).
            I asked him to send treasures
            Of a far more lasting kind!

            I asked that he be near you
            At the start of each new day;
            To grant you health and blessings
            And friends to share your way!

            I asked for happiness for you
            In all things great and small.
            But it was for his loving care
            I prayed the most of all!"

I looked up with tears in my eyes, wanting to thank the lovely lady for what she had just done for my heart. She wasn't there. My husband was there, though. 

"Here you go," he said, unbeknown about what had just transpired. 
"Did you see that lady?" I asked my hubby. 
"What lady?" 

I explained to my husband what had happened and I showed him the paper. He read it. 

We both had tears in our eyes. But this time, they were tears of joy. Of gratitude. Of wonder and perfection at God's timing. It was like the little grey-haired lady in the corner was a representative of Christ—an angel. Vanished. Gone. She delivered her message and then she had moved on. 

Our conversation that followed was not all sweetness and joy because we did have much to discuss and plan, but our sadness was covered knowing that God was surely with us on our journey and we would get through it no matter what. We still didn't have all the answers to our million questions, but we did find that perfect peace that really does passeth all understanding. 

I still carry the little piece of green paper from my Tim Horton's angel in my wallet. I love sharing this story with anyone who will listen. I think God has placed it on my heart because He likes it when we pass on not only His Holy and beautiful Word, but He wants us to connect our stories and show others how He really does care and how He really does meet us at His appointed time.

            Isaiah 40:31-1 But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Maybe it's time to visit my friend. I think I'll take her a Timmies ...




Glynis lives, loves, laughs and does an awful lot of reading, writing, publishing and praying in her home office. 
        How thrilled Glynis is to be part of GOOD GRIEF PEOPLE (Angel Hope Publishing) - an anthology filled with stories that help readers recognize, honour and celebrate  the individuality of grief.      
               www.glynismbelec.com 



6 comments:

  1. Such a powerful story, Glynis. Thank you. God still has work for you to do. And may you continue to be blessed and to be a blessing. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing & powerful story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I was wondering if this is where the name 'Angel Hope' came from for your publishing company.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful story. It's definitely the personal touches that reaches people the most when they are in the darkest places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful story of God's gracious provision. You were blessed to receive, and that dear woman was surely blessed to give. You've encouraged me today, Glynis. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.