December 22, 2017

God With Us Especially In Trials - Alan Anderson




James 1:2: “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds…”

During the early part of this past November my wife Terry was informed she has uterine cancer. Ten days before this she had a biopsy taken. I had convinced myself the news wasn’t going to be as serious. The doctor at our follow up visit ended that hope.


I cannot say I responded to the news about Terry’s cancer with joy. I sensed nothing joyful at the time. Even writing this post I recall the initial sadness I experienced. All I could think at the time was, “This is real, and Terry has cancer.” Time froze for a second or two.


Like Terry, in a physical sense I am defenseless against cancer. I cannot protect her from the ailments common to the human race. I wish I could. I am, however, able to choose how I respond to this trial of. For one thing, I can assure Terry she is not alone in this experience. I will walk with her every step of the way. If needed, I will carry her. Cancer cannot beat us.


By faith I recognize trials give evidence that even in this experience my wife is going through we can rejoice together. This is not saying that we think cancer is good or that I am happy my wife has cancer. I can say we can be joyful, for God knows all about it. This trial has not taken God by surprise. He has given us assurance of his love and comfort in a very real way.



This assurance has been shown to us through the love and care we have received from other people. Our children and especially our daughter have been supportive. Our daughter and son-in-law treated us to an evening out with them recently. They wanted us to have some time to unwind from hearing the news about Terry’s cancer.


God’s assurance we are not alone is also evident through the practical and prayerful support of our church family. Terry and I began attending Saint Herman of Alaska Orthodox Church in Langley, BC, six months ago. We love this church. No sooner had I asked for the church to pray for Terry that they immediately showed us how loving God’s people can be. They are going to help us out with meals during Terry’s recover period. Someone has offered to help us out financially due to the expense of parking on a hospital parking lot. We are humbled at how real the love of God is through His people.


I must include my thanks to many InScribe members who are praying for Terry and I. People are praying all over the world for God’s comfort to be on us. We sense that comfort comes from the heart of God.


At the time of writing this post Christmas will soon be here. Terry is in good spirits and in no pain. We are both somewhat anxious to have her surgery and recovery period over with. We are confident beyond doubt that God has not left us alone.


If any of my wonderful readers are experiencing a “trial,” please know I am here for you. If any of my amazing and loved InScribe friends are experiencing distress please let me know. I will not have you to be alone in this.


Writing this post has been emotional and cathartic for me as I process this trial. I conclude by encouraging my readers to count trials as joy, my dear friends. We are not in this life alone!



Blog: ScarredJoy@wordpress.com

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for your posts this eyar alan. You have brightened all of our days with your unique and positive posts. Rest assured there are many people praying for Terry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy! Yes, we are overwhelmed by people praying for Terry. This cancer journey is on my mind so much that writing about it allows me to express how we are experiencing it.

      Delete
  2. Hello Alan, you and your wife are facing a real challenge. I do not think the words in James are meant to make us feel as though we need to act "joyful" at this time, but rather to know that the true source of joy is through Christ. May you & Terry continue to find joy in the support you receive as you go through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jocelyn! Joy is a companion on this journey. We know God's comfort. He is also showing this through His people.

      Delete
  3. Alan, as you say, we feel defenseless against cancer, but we are not Powerless because we know the One who has the power to defeat not just cancer, but He has beaten death. May the birth of our Saviour be a time of comfort and peace for you and Terry. And as you have walked with others through their trials, please know you do not walk alone at this time. We may be miles away, but we care, and we pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marnie! Your words bring tremendous comfort for we know you are familiar with such a journey. We have a deep sense that we know we are not alone. I'm somewhat nervous about Terry having surgery followed by a six week recovery. People are being very supportive of us and we are surrounded by prayer.

      Delete
  4. I've been reminding myself and my loved ones that God knew we would run into circumstances in our lives that would cause us to be tense and fearful--of our enemies, of the unknown, of our circumstances . . . That's why he repeated so many times the message in his word about being of good courage and not being afraid.

    In Deuteronomy 31:1-8, Moses is telling his people that he won't be crossing the Jordan with them. Joshua will now be in charge, but Moses says, "The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do note be afraid; do not be discouraged."

    As I review this message for myself, I pass it on to you, so that this familiar passage may bring you comfort. I too am so thankful for those who have been praying for us. May God continue to bless you and your wife and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! We do sense comfort at this time. It helps that Terry is in good spirits and pain free. We look forward to Christmas with our family and our church. Blessings to you my friend!

      Delete
  5. It's good that you can share your journey through your writing; both for yourself and for others. Thank you for sharing and may you feel that continued joy and peace into the New Year and throughout Terry's surgery and recuperation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria! Yes, writing does help. I'm also hoping, perhaps in some way, others will be encouraged. I know Terry is! Blessings to you my friend!

      Delete
  6. Pat Gerbrandt11:52 am GMT-7

    May you find beautiful strength and contentment in God's provision for both of you. I'm joining the others praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat! We are basking in the words of those praying for us. Comforting indeed!

      Delete
  7. Alan, Terry is blessed to have a husband who loves her and trusts God. This makes for a powerful trio.
    Praying for you both ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! We are in the waiting game right now. At least she is in no pain. Your prayers give us comfort my friend!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.